Benny and his friend Griffin at Ocean Beach in San Francisco.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thank God for Kansas

Meanwhile, the great San Francisco Childcare Hunt continued today. Ron stayed home from work in the morning so he could accompany us to the home-based daycare in the Sunset district. “I’ve hardly been to work at all this week,” he complained.

The place was supposed to be “just blocks” from the N-Judah rail line. Well, they were long blocks, and all uphill. We were panting as we finally crested the hill at Noriega Street and met a lovely woman named Reema.

Her house was very nice, large and clean with a good play yard out back. Reema made all the food for the kids, breakfast, lunch and snacks. She had lots of assistants to help. The kids looked happy, and Benny was captivated when half a dozen children sat around a teacher to hear “The Princess Book.”

“Did you like that school?” I asked Benny as we wheeled him back to the rail line.

“I like it!” Benny yelled. “I like the Princess School!”

Well, that was something.

***

I finally got the nerve to call Ralf, our moving truck driver who held all our worldly possessions. Ralf sounded very depressed.

“I’m in Kansas,” he said. “The rig broke down. Then the truck sent out to fix the problem broke down too. I’ve been here for days.”

“Oh, that’s too bad,” I said sympathetically as I danced around the apartment. “That’s terrible.”

“I should have been there by now,” he went on dolefully. “Now it could be Tuesday, Wednesday of next week.”

“We’ll get by,” I reassured him.

***

Our rental agent called. She’d gone to the head of the company and our lease break was now a bona fide transfer. Our security deposit for Cole Valley would be applied toward the new place’s deposit. We wouldn’t have to find another tenant. We could sign the lease on the new place today and take possession tonight or Friday.

“You are amazing,” I said. “Thank you so much.”

I met Ron at the rental agency office. (Benny was starting to think we lived there too.) Ron wore a suit and a harried expression. “I need to write some stories,” he muttered.

We signed all the papers and forked over another check. Ron raced off to write about some guy who dealt in mouse stem cells. I called Ralf on my cell as I wheeled Benny toward our soon-to-be-former apartment.

“They fixed the rig,” Ralf said. “I got stops in Modesto and Navato, but you’ll be first. I should be there Monday.”

“No worries,” I said, smiling. “By the way, I’ve got a new address for you.”

No comments: