Benny and his friend Griffin at Ocean Beach in San Francisco.

Sunday, December 12, 2004

Benny's Nightmare

Benny and I visited Aunt Orla's, staying for lunch and dinner. Benny loved the dog. I brought Scott and Jen a housewarming gift and I gave Aunt Orla a vanilla-sugar bubble bath, lotion and sponge. After that, she'll either be relaxed or really hungry.

Benny's been running a low-grade fever off and on since dinnertime yesterday. We've been giving him medicine and I talked to the doctor's office. He's eating well and is very active, just a runny nose.

His babysitter said he had an irritable edge to him today. She added that if she said that to someone there who didn't know him well, that person would think she was nuts, because he was still playing and smiling. But we could tell.

Around 10 p.m., he woke up crying, covered in sweat. I changed his jammies and his sheets and Ron wiped him down and rocked him to sleep. There was no fever, none at all. It was a weird cry; he actually sounded scared. We think it was a night terror.

When we went in, he wasn't standing like he usually does; he was lying on his back, turning back and forth, eyes closed, crying. When I picked him up and put him on the changing table, I don't think he knew where he was. He was fine the next morning.

##

No comments: